пятница, 23 апреля 2010 г.

День планеты Земля

 Earth Day
Earth Day is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in held on April 22, 1970 and is celebrated in more than 175 countries every year. Earth Day is celebrated in spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. Many communities celebrate Earth Week, an entire week of activities focused on environmental issues. While the first Earth Day was focused entirely on the United States, an organization launched by Denis Hayes—the original national coordinator in 1970—took it international in 1990 and organized events in 141 nations. Earth Day is now observed each year on April 22 in virtually every country on Earth. Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network. World Environment Day, celebrated on June 5 in a different nation every year, is the principal United Nations environmental observance. Earth Day 2010 coincided with the World People's Conference on Climate Change, held in Cochabamba, Bolivia, and with the International Year of Biodiversity. (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Forty years after the first Earth Day, the world is in greater peril than ever. While climate change is the greatest challenge of our time, it also presents the greatest opportunity – an unprecedented opportunity to build a healthy, prosperous, clean energy economy now and for the future. Earth Day 2010 can be a turning point to advance climate policy, energy efficiency, renewable energy and green jobs. Earth Day Network is galvanizing millions who make personal commitments to sustainability. Earth Day 2010 is a pivotal opportunity for individuals, corporations and governments to join together and create a global green economy.  http://www.earthday.org/earthday2010
Visit this interesting site for Earth Day crafts, coloring pages, and activities. http://holidays.kaboose.com/earth-day/
How the First Earth Day Came About
By Senator Gaylord Nelson, Founder of Earth Day http://earthday.envirolink.org/history.html
virtually – фактически, в сущности, поистине
observance – соблюдение, обряд, ритуал, почтение
coincide – совпадать, соответствовать, равняться
peril – опасность, риск
renewable – возрожденный, обновленный
galvanize – оживлять, побуждать к действию
commitment – вручение, передача, обязательство
sustainability - поддержка
pivotal – центральный, осевой, основной
Facts about Earth
Age: 4.6 billion years old (Life as we know it, has only existed on the planet for the last 150 million to 200 million years)
Position: 3rd planet from the sun.
Size: 5th largest planet in our solar system.
Diameter: The Earth has an average diameter of 12,742 kilometers.
- Earth is the only planet in the Solar System to have water in its three states of matter: as a solid (ice), a liquid (sea, rain, etc.) and as a gas (clouds).
- The length of time it takes for Earth to orbit the Sun is 365 and a quarter days. To make up this extra quarter which isn't counted at the end of a year, we have an extra day every four years on 29th February.
- Earth travels through space at 66,700 miles per hour.
- The centre of the Earth, its core, is molten. This means that it is liquid rock which sometimes erupts onto the surface through volcanic eruptions. This core is 7,500°c, hotter than the surface of the Sun!
- Earth is the only planet in the Solar System not to be named after a mythical God.
- Only 29% of the surface is actually 'earth.' The rest of the planet's surface (71%) is made up of water. (by Mandy Barrow)
core – сердцевина, ядро
molten – расплавленный

1 комментарий:

  1. Анонимный17 мая 2010 г., 21:48

    It is very interesting and usful information.I have known many things about this holiday.Earlier i don't know that our planet is 12,742 kilometers in a diameter.I like this text!

    ОтветитьУдалить